Search Knowledge Base by Keyword
By design, we do not receive usage data on plugin users from WordPress.org. This allows us to stay true to the spirit of WordPress and respect the users’ privacy.
However, this also means that we do not have information on how users use the WP Activity Log plugin. This makes it harder for us to determine who needs what and how to improve the plugin. So when you activate the plugin we ask you to help us improve the plugin by sending us non-sensitive diagnostic data. We do this via a service called Freemius. If you choose to not opt-in no data is sent.
This article explains everything you need to know about what non-sensitive data we collect, why we use it, and what is the Freemius service. If you need more information please do not hesitate to contact us. We’d be happy to answer all your questions.
What non-sensitive data is sent?
When you opt-in, we collect the following information:
- The name and email address of the WordPress user installing the plugin
- Site URL
- WordPress version
- PHP version
- WP Activity Log plugin status (activation, deactivation, uninstall)
- WP Activity Log plugin version
When you opt-in you also subscribe to our announcements and newsletter so you are kept up to date with the development and features progress of the WP Activity Log plugin.
NOTE: NO WordPress audit / activity log data is ever sent.
Why do we collect non-sensitive data?
We collect non-sensitive data to:
- help us make informed decisions when planning plugin updates,
- ease troubleshooting and user support,
- send security & feature updates notifications, educational content and offers (you can unbsibscribe from the newsletters).
Examples of non-sensitive data sharing
- When a user disables and uninstalls the plugin, through Freemius we ask the user what is the reason for uninstalling the plugin. The answer to such question helps us understand what users expect from the plugin and what new features they would like to see.
- When a user has a technical issue with the plugin we can learn about his setup from the data without having to ask for log a lot of troubleshooting information, thus easing the process of assisting the plugin users.
What if I press No?
NO data is sent and the plugin will work as normal, without any limitations.
Can I change my non-sensitive data sharing settings anytime?
Yes you can. You have the option to opt-in if you have opted-out or vice versa in the WP Activity Log plugin listing on the WordPress plugins page, as highlighted in the below screenshot.
What is Freemius?
Freemius is a GDPR compliant online service that helps WordPress plugins and themes developers market and sell their software. It does so by providing a payment gateway and license keys management system. It also helps them capture and manage diagnostic data on how their product (in our case WP Activity Log) is being used. Such data is what helps us better understand how the users are using the plugin so we can improve it. For more detailed information refer to the Freemius website.
Thanks for reading!
The fact that you are reading this means you have an interest in helping us make WP Activity Log better than it is. We thank you for that. If you chose to not share data, we understand you too.
If you have any questions or concerns, we would be more than happy to address them. You can get in touch by using our contact form.